View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #723
JeremyBear

Default Re: Team Munchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by floats09 View Post
I looked for threads regarding this and was surprised nobody has asked this.

Any suggestions for playing Team Munchkin?

We had 4 people, so 2 teams of 2...it was fun at first because you share the treasures and what not, but as soon as the players are around level 6ish, it becomes almost impossible to stop them... Both teams were just hoping to pull monsters from the deck to beat.

A few possibilities.

A. All monster levels are doubled
B. Maybe the Epic Munchkin rules where you have to draw 2 face-up door cards on turn
C. Don't play Team Munchkin. ;)
I came up with some Team Munchkin rules. I only came up with them very recently. It's kinda sloppy but I think it's understandable. Like I said, I devised this very recently; so please reply to this if you feel it needs rebalancing. I haven't even tested this out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Team Munchkin Special Rules:
Special:
Max players, 8. Max teams, 4. Max players per team, 3.

Setup:
Each player gets 3 of each card, the player clockwise to the dealer begins the game.

Turn phases:
0 Listen at the Door:
Before doing anything else this turn, you may listen at the door, draw a face-down door card which you may play or not. Then arrange cards and proceed normally.

1 Knock Down Door:
One of the players on the team knocks down the door, whoever does this takes the curse if there is one; if it is a monster, it’s level gains a bonus equal to the level of the highest-level player on a team.

2 Loot the Room and Look for Trouble:
The player that didn’t act already may Loot the Room or Look for Trouble. Instead of drawing a face-down door card for Looting the Room, draw a face-down treasure card.

3 Search another Dungeon:
If you didn’t look for trouble previously, skip this phase; if else, have a team member draw another door card. Unlike knocking down the door, you decide who will fight the monster after it is drawn. If it is a monster, fight it. (Only the players who initially kicked down the door go up levels.) If it is a curse, it applies to the munchkin(s) who got it and your turn immediately goes to charity. If it is anything else, the turn immediately goes to charity. (You may search another dungeon if all of your team members have abandoned you.)

4 Charity:
A team may have a maximum of 6 cards in their hands at once. If they have more than 6 cards, they must give the excess cards to the team with the lowest highest-leveled player. If your team has this, then just discard the excess.

Cards:
In Hand:
Cards in hand may be shared between team members. (Keep in mind, they still may not be traded between foes from your hand, you still must only trade via the table!)

In Play:
Cards in play still may not be returned to your hand, but you may let team members borrow (which slightly alter the rules of putting an item back into your hand), take, or trade items.

Borrowing:
When a team member is borrowing an item, they put it in their hand; they, however, may not put this item into play, they may only give it back to the player who gave it to them to borrow; it is now the borrowees choice whether it goes back into his hand or back into play. You may only give one item to borrow per turn, and the Munchkin you give it to may only hold one of your Munchkin’s items unless he/she is a Dwarf.

Taking:
When a team member takes an item, it goes immediately into play. Each team member may only take one item per turn and give one item per turn.

Trading:
Trading is just what it sounds like, although you may trade from your hands, if you want.

Monsters:
Both players in a team may fight a monster together if they want to, only the players fighting gain levels (you must decide if you are both fighting the monster before the door is kicked down, otherwise; you both are fighting the monster by default); when Munchkins search another dungeon and find a monster, only the Munchkins that initially kicked down the door go up levels. Monsters that say “2 Lvls” still only grant 1 level.

Running Away:
If you must run away from a monster, only the players fighting must run away. If two players are fighting, then either both of them must run away, or you can sacrifice one player for the other’s immediate escape. Players that fail running away must suffer bad stuff.

Winning:
For a team to win, both players must reach level 10.

Death:
If a munchkin dies, instead of other munchkins looting the body, his/her partner(s) do. When the Munchkin that died comes to, he/she does what a usual dead Munchkin would do.

Treachery and Return-Treachery:
When a munchkin is in a dungeon with a team member and one escapes whilst the other suffers the bad stuff, this is considered Treachery. When a player commits treachery, the player that suffered the treachery is obligated to take a card from the treacherer, this is Return-Treachery, unlike regular treachery, this may not be countered with a return.

Switching Teams:
Players are obligated to switch teams, but only after one full turn-cycle has been made. It is completely legal to bribe players to join your team. (It’s Munchkin, why wouldn’t it?!)

Betrayal:
When a player is switching teams, he/she may roll the die, if it lands a 6, the player from his/her previous team of his/her choice goes down a level.

Epic Team Munchkins:
Do not be confused, this is not exactly like being an Epic Munchkin, think of it more like an Epic Team-Munchkin. You become an Epic Team-Munchkin when you reach level 10. At this point you do not go up levels from defeating monsters, playing “Go Up a Level” cards, or any other method. When somebody on your team becomes Team Epic, they may only go down levels via curses and anything else that’s not monster-related. If a munchkin is Team Epic, they may not Listen at the Door. Epic Steeds exist. Epic Class and Race bonuses exist.
This is a bit redundant, but everyone on a team must be Team Epic before winning the game.

If you feel edits are necessary, click the link above and comment on my work.

Last edited by JeremyBear; 01-03-2017 at 09:34 PM.
JeremyBear is offline   Reply With Quote