View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Default Re: Experience with Comparative DX for Combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
"O, that way madness lies; let me shun that;
No more of that."
- King Lear

Seriously though, I did try this out for awhile, but since DX is the stat for overall character prowess (not just for combat, mind you), using it to create a defensive advantage/disadvantage mechanic on top of that felt unbalanced to me as well as my players. Remember that the higher adjDX also has first strike capability which means much more in TFT than D&D.

And the orc in Chris' example may hit 50% of the time w/o the 'comparative DX' adjustment, but that's only part of the picture. As the more experienced warrior, Aragon will have more than just his higher DX working for him... high ST for hit points and increased damage-dealing, advanced combat talents, toughness, etc. all provide him with significant advantages over his opponent.

P.S. For a more interesting and thematically appropriate application of this idea, however, I would encourage readers to look a the variant fencing rules in Hexagram #6.
Thank you for the feedback, TippetsTX. Not having a lot of experience, with The Fantasy Trip (or GURPS Dungeon Fantasy), I thought I'd ask about this houserule before trying it out.

One of the reasons that I'm interested in The Fantasy Trip is because it isn't D&D. Our group keeps houseruling D&D in various ways because it never quite feels right. And, the classless (or near classlessness) of The Fantasy Trip along with it's seeming simplicity (next to GURPS) makes it look promising.

But, our initial playtest of melee felt strange with everyone's roll to hit being against their own DX rather than somehow making a roll against something that had to do with their opponent. So, this houserule looked very appealing.

And, it didn't add a defense roll, like GURPS.
Hrothgar Rannúlfr is offline   Reply With Quote