View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 03:59 AM   #5
Chris Rice

Default Re: Ignore engagement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
GURPS does a really good job of combat without engagement, which I prefer, but it is a different game, and works because figures move about 1/2 what they do in TFT, it costs more to turn, most attacks only let you move 1 hex, the movement and action is done together and without having an entire side get to move all their figures at once, etc.

I think there is a need for a house rule to ignore engagement when otherwise it means people are rooted in place when they convincingly would/should not be standing there.

The details of this suggestion are interesting but not quite what I'd choose - I don't much care for the facing transformation and useless shields.
Engagement is one of the key features of TFT tactical combat so I wouldn't want to do away with it completely. However, some have mentioned a very gamey tactic of using figures with the Defend option to pin enemies in place. One could logically argue that if you're Defending then you're not Engaging. So it might be worth considering a ruling that Defending figures do not Engage.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote