View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 12:54 AM   #558
Inky

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
They really don't act like they can turn off their telepathy, nor do the other characters behave like it's an option that the Betazoids refuse to exercise (which would make the quirk an OPH of -5 or worse, instead), rather than just one of the things that you have to deal with while being around them. As for Tam Elbrun, the article doesn't say that he can't turn it off, just that that "Betazoids in this condition do not have the natural ability to ignore background thoughts from others."
That's fair. Maybe like how some people with autism or some other medical conditions can't ignore background noises or tune them out to focus on one sound over another, but everyone can hear them all the time, they're just not listening, but if you said their name they would hear it.

I've seen it said that Betazoids have an unfortunate habit of saying exactly what they're thinking because on their home planet they're used to everyone already knowing anyway. That would probably be some form of Truthfulness. On the other hand, in the few TNG episodes I've seen I honestly haven't noticed that myself. Maybe leave that up to the player to add as an individual disad if they want to, like the OPH you mentioned.

I like the new version! I was surprised that it's as much as 100 points, but if that's the value GURPS does give for their psychic powers, then that's the value it gives.