View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Pyramid #3/44: Alternate GURPS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Sounds like I may need to do some tweaking before implementing it in-game, especially when it comes to normally FP-powered options like Extra Effort, spells and chi skills (ie, the "powers" most often used in DF-style games). I'm assuming since you made no mention of Energy Reserve that its recovery rules are unchanged, and anything powered by ER should retain its normal energy cost. Abilities powered by FP may either see their cost drop by a factor of roughly 10, or else rise by a factor of 10 as an AP cost. This does leave a precarious middle ground of about 3-5 FP, where it doesn't feel right to charge a whole FP, but 30-50 AP is beyond what can be spent in combat. Hmm... I suspect that there's an appropriate exchange rate somewhere in there, maybe something like 5 AP + 3 AP per FP (since a lot of AP all at once is harder to deal with than the same amount spread over multiple seconds).
I speak to this a bit in the section where I talk about Enthrallment type skills.

If something costs (say) 5 FP, you'd expect to be able to use it roughly once an hour. That translates to HALF a FP, more or less (or 1FP and Fit).

So an AP cost would be appropriate here, and it should probably be about 5-10AP. If it's 5 AP, Joe AVerage can do it back-to-back twice before having to rest for 2 hours. (average use rate 1 per hour, then!) which seems to match the frequency of the original ability.

Edit: That's probably how I'd try and price these. How many times can you use them per hour with the original ability, and how many AP (more or less) does that equate to. So if something used to cost 9 FP (huge), that means you can use it twice every three hours, or four times every 6 hours.

So 6 hours is 3 FP. If you assume 10 FP to start, spending 3 FP back to back will give you back 15 more AP. So 25 total AP spent over four uses . . . 6 AP per use.

Now, that DOES mean that if you're careful with your AP and recovery, you can probably recover those 6 AP in less than 10 seconds! THAT probably means that using the ability probably requires some long concentrate maneuvers (during which you can't recover AP) to balance things.

Tweakage will likely (certainly!) be required, since GURPS is a big system and many funky powers and abilities can either coexist, or not, by GM decision.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 06-22-2012 at 02:03 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote