View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #21
Sindri

Default Re: Duelling in Spaaaaaaace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
I'd argue that dueling never went all the way away, anyway. It's just today (in the U.S. at least), the weapons of choice are lawyers and PR flaks.

The shifts that reduced dueling aren't technological,they're social: a feeling that dueling is "might makes right", that non-combatants are entitled to have their cases heard, the rise of the criminal and civil justice systems, expanded police powers and capabilities, the spread of egalitarianism and the fracturing of 'society', a reduced expectation that the members of high society are necessarily trained combatants, and so on...
Well many those shifts are more against trials by combat than duels of honour but they are related of course. Other reasons for duelling's disappearance include a society's desire to keep it's members alive, a change in views about honour, and cases where the custom of duelling was abused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Which is why the examples from my space campaign are almost all military. Dueling is a way of showing off military prowess, and that's more valued in militarized cultures. Even today, U.S. Marines have a reputation for fistfights as a means of resolving disputes, an activity that isn't condoned by the the chain of command, but not quite entirely condemned, either. (One PFC my acquaintance was told off the record by his master sergeant that worse than being involved in a bar fight with rangers was being involved in a bar fight with rangers and losing. But both were better than failing to defend the honor of the USMC.)
As you said above it's important that the people duelling will be capable combatants.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote