View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: By Default (Douglas Cole, P3/65)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
How would you unite Douglas Cole's suggestion in Pyramid 3/65 for changing the way defaults are handled in GURPS with the Dabbler perk?

Also, what would happen if you change the way defaults from skills work in the same way as he suggests for attributes?
All the By Default scores have the same "jump" between no points spent (the default) and the 1-point spend. That is, the same three points as RAW.

So I agree - Dabbler should work as-is.

Also: since double-defaulting from Skill-25 would be first Skill-12 and then Skill-6, I have no problem with it. In fact, one might, under this paradigm, halve the usual default penalties. So if something usually defaulted to Physician-2, it would instead default to Physician/2 -1. Something that defaulted to Physician-5 would instead become Phys/2 - 3 (rounding down).

Of course, Physician-25, even on top of IQ14, is still a lot of points. Dabbler, in this case, would still be beneficial, since you would either be buying up from a usual default of 7 (IQ/2), or your Physician/2 or 12.

I didn't delve too deeply here, since the By Default rules are an edition-level switch that could really use a full playtest and a lot of armchair quarterbacking to tease out real and imagined edge cases.

(Yes, this usually bothers me. Not in this case.)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote