View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #83
Sindri

Default Re: Capping Skill Default Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Indeed - political analysts almost certainly have Politics, but aren't always competent at speaking publicly. There probably shouldn't be a default there.
No, I think there should be a default. Politics includes some talking to people and talking to people and talking to lots of people are related. It's just bad that other more primarily talking to people skills don't also allow defaults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
As for weapon skills that probably shouldn't be lumped together into a single skill but share defaults, Knife and Main Gauche probably shouldn't be lumped into Broadsword (well, Shortsword, but I'm assuming here those two have been condensed together already) and Rapier - if anything, I think the use of such a short weapon is more similar to unarmed combat than use of a sword. Fencing vs Non-Fencing sword skills are debatable in terms of if they should be a single skill or not (I personally lean toward no, but I could see cause to lump them together). Whip and Kusari (which could possibly be lumped into Flail, which itself would be part of Axe/Mace; familiarity would apply) are likely dissimilar enough not to be lumped together. Finally, there's Polearm, which doesn't seem appropriate to lump together with Staff/Spear (which are balanced weapons) or Axe/Mace (which are wielded a good deal differently from Polearms). Polearms could probably be used with such skills to varying degrees, but appropriate use of the weapons should really be its own skill.
All classic reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
But those specific competencies include "talking to politicians".
Individually or in small groups. If you are talking to large groups that's public speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
An analyst who has no skill at talking to people doesn't have Politics. He has Expert Skill: Politics.
He would have expert skill: political science only if he was bad at talking to people. If he was bad at speaking publically specifically he could still be good at everything the politics skill includes.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote