View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #32
Sindri

Default Re: Capping Skill Default Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
So far you've been describing complicated rule changes. You've been altering game mechanics and trying to change defaults... not assign appropriate penalties based on what is actually happening, where because Character A has studied using Weapon X* his whole life that knowledge should benefit him in some way going head to head with Character B, who has never actually studied using Weapon X but instead is a master of Weapon Y, from which Weapon X can default.

Not liking the Skill system in general is something of a "separate matter". I know it isn't perfect, but I've seen far, far worse.

*Why resist, true believer! ;)
There's not much difference between changing how defaults work and adding a scaling penalty to accomplish the same thing.

I don't think that Character B should only suffer penalties when fighting Character A. If his defaults are too high then they are too high no matter what his opponent is doing. On the other hand if his defaults aren't too high they are still acceptable when fighting against Character A.

The only reason penalties should appear because of what is actually happening is if it's actually harder than other situations. Throwing in penalties to fix a general problem only when it becomes highly apparent is a bad strategy.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote