View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Gudiomen

Default Re: One Step: Limited Warp (Shunpo, Sonido... anime super-speed)

I know how to limit Warp to get the desired effects, the reliability, the limited range, the necessity for a path and lack of obstructions, all that is easy to model. Everything else fits, even the FP expenditure.

My question is specifically how much the "Takes One Step" enhancement would cost, and how that would apply to Warp.

Reliable +10 would allow an unmodified instant use of Warp, at +50%. However, Reliable would also help when not using it so fast, which I don't want to be an option and thus irrelevant. I don't want it to affect range either, as it'll be severely limited and when greater distances are attempted I still want to penalty to apply. So it's only good for allowing instant jumps.

I'd say the time to warp is the most important thing, since range brackets are pretty big. The fact that it's not a flat bonus, rather an offset of penalties will reduce the cost further. Reliabe (Only to Offset Time Penalties, Does not Affect Range) is probably at least half as valuable as regular Reliable, probably less. So we're looking at +25% or +20%.

The fact that you cannot take more time to warp, even if you want to, is a limitation as well since you cannot spend a lot of time to get a bonus. Say, -10%.

Then there's the fact that it's not truly instant, and still takes a Step, this is where I'm having most difficulty.

All in all, I'm tempted to call the whole thing +0% for robbing the player the option of prep time, eliminating the instant warps, and not penalizing the only mode of time available to use the power. Charging 1 FP per use.

It's still a ton of points, and if it's not +0% it's pretty darn close, I think I'm off at most by 5-10%.

Edit: there are also minor side-effects that help mitigate any imprecision, such as the fact that ATR would be able to see the character in transit, and if an ATR posessing foe took a Wait maneuver he could interrupt, and someone with ATR would also be able to defend normally (parry, dodge, etc...)

Last edited by Gudiomen; 05-27-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote