View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #75
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Getting Around Florida Quickly and Discreetly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
True.

Quite likely, but it's not more detail than I need.

I like to know where NPCs have lived, how they're potentially connected to other NPCs, etc. That makes it pretty useful to know where they went to school, what they studied and where they stayed during.

So if an NPC who in 2018 is on the Penemue team of 'Night Riders' with the PCs took classes in Materials Science and Engineering at UF while he was serving in the Navy and then became a full-time graduate student at the University of Florida after he got out of the service (Caribbean Studies Specialization in the Master of Arts in Latin American Studies and then a PhD program in Anthropology), I know that he was living in Gainesville at the time.

At least the way the campus map was oriented when I attended the Engineering stuff would have been up in the north-east quadrant across from the bookstore but not all the way to the athletic dorms or the law school. The later things would probably have been under the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and clustered in the south-east quadrant where 13th Street and University Avenue crossed.

That intersection pretty much marked the heart of G'ville with UF filling one quadrant and the heart of old downtown going down those 2 streets. The later the development was the farther out from there it was.

There were only about 7000 beds worth of dormitories in the late 70s so most of the student body had to live off-campus with a significant amount of off-campus housing just across from those 2 streets mixed in msotly with places to eat but newer apartments complexes a good bit farther out.

One of those 2 streets and I think it was 13th was just the local re-naming of State Road 441. That's mentioned in the Tom Petty song "American Girl" where "you could hear the cars roll by on 441 like waves crashing on the beach". That's one of the things that would tell you he was from G'ville.

Oh dear, I'm afraid i could go like this for a while but my info is 40 years old now and probably quite dated.