View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Technical Grappling: Grabbing Parry clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Jam and aggressive parry work by giving a minus to your parry (assuming you haven't bought it off as a technique), and then roll defense.

if you succeed the defense, roll vs. underlying skill at a modifier depending on what you are trying to hit, if you succeed do stuff, if you don't, not enough damage to cause injury.
It's zero damage, or I guess fractional damage that rounds down?

It's a weird concept since parries establish contact so the to-hit roll isn't for determining contact but rather it's effectiveness.

Quote:
But Grabbing parry, at least from what i look at it, doesn't say it works that way.
TG5 establishes that even if you have pathetic ST a success can be useful:
A successful grappling attack or Grabbing Parry (p. 42) achieves a grip on your opponent, even if you roll 0 CP.
One thing I often forget is it can't be used against incrementing:
to grapple the attacker back when attacked with a strike or a grapple on a new location, use Grabbing Parry
TG42 also:
You may not use Grabbing Parry if your foe is attacking to improve an existing grapple.
Next best thing is Escaping Parry because if you remove all CP then excess can establish a counter-grapple.

Quote:
the scenario was the PC used grabbing parry on a punch from a fighter with 2 levels of rapid retraction. he succeeded by 0. before the rapid retraction was taken into effect. and he asked if he failed his parry because the other dude pulled his arm back fast enough.
TG30:
You get +1 on all rolls to avoid techniques enabled by a successful enemy parry, including Grabbing Parry
Quote:
I was stumped. I ruled no, he succeeded his parry, but failed the grab. and we continued. but i told him i would ask.

What is going on here? is there supposed to be a (if parry successful, roll vs. underlying skill) clause in there? or is there something im missing?
TG42 does seem to gloss over some elsewhere-implied steps...

Choose a legal parry and defense option (if desired);
you can capture a striking arm (or weapon!), grab a kick, slip in and grapple the torso (see Retreat Options, Martial Arts, p. 123), etc.
Success grapples your foe with the limbs used
There's no mention of a roll to hit there.
Nor if there is a defense against that hit.
The end penalties I think are meant for that hit
RR also implies active defense
which AP/Jam don't get...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote