View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
CousinX

Default Re: [Thaumatology] Real world magical traditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Not if you want (as the OP does) to give an advantage to Kabbalah over those other traditions. In which case you can make Symbol Drawing magically effective for the one and not the others.
I thought he wanted to balance the systems, making them competitive with one another, rather than allowing Decanic Hermeticism to dominate.

Quote:
That's exactly the opposite of what I said. Most Jewish traditions believe that there cannot be sacrifices since the loss of the Temple. There's a practice (Hasidic, I believe) of killing a chicken as a sort of sin offering, the people that practice this are very clear to draw a distinction that this practice isn't sacrifice, because sacrifices can only be made by priests at the Temple.
Oh, then I misunderstood you ... in that case, I disagree. Sacrifice has been an important part of Judaism since its early recorded history. Of note is the fact that orthodox Kabbalists are also Rabbis.

Quote:
Right, and I'm saying it's even simpler to base it on an easier skill, if you want to differentiate Decanic from Kabbalic practice.
Ah, I see. I wouldn't do it that way, but I understand your point.

Quote:
Isn't the goal here to make the traditions different?
Again, I thought Icelander's goal was to balance the traditions (and their magical prowess) against one another.

Anyway, I'm just trying to provide what I know about real-world magical traditions. He (and everyone) can use the information as he'd like, or not.

Last edited by CousinX; 01-31-2011 at 06:40 PM.
CousinX is offline   Reply With Quote