View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #26
Icelander

Default Re: Treasure from the Sheikh of the Grinning Skull Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
In that case, the Vulture Cloak does seem thematically appropriate. It's similar to the Jackal Cloak, but give Winged Flight instead of Immunity (Heat), and is thus a more powerful item.
It's perfect. Particularly if he made one example for himself, which is more powerful in that it also grants him some protections from magical attacks and also some heat resistance, and then several lesser versions for scouts.

At least one of whom is unaccounted for...

I think I'll put a limitation on the duration of the Winged Flight. Most of the PCs have Boots of Dragonflight, constructed from the remains of a Great Red Dragon they slew by the Red Wizards, and those allow up to eight hours of Flight per day or two hours of Hawk Flight, in any combination (with time in Hawk Flight counting as x4 for the purposes of expending Flight time). I guess the Vulture Cloak would just grant Flight, but the lesser Cloaks might grant at least four hours and the greater one could, I suppose, be limited only by the wearer's stamina.

Quote:
Anyone who wears it for more than a month also goes completely bald.
Nah, doesn't work. Abu Jafar wasn't bald, he had an unplesant comb-over. A faint whiff of carrion that always clings to the wearer might be enough. Or, of course, the Greater Vulture Cloak might slowly twist the wearer toward the worship of the Dark Sun, the Lord of Murder and Prince of Lies.

Quote:
I have it in my head that a taste for carrion is a very common (maybe universal) side-effect of Abu Jaffar's enchantments, due to the nature of his magic.
His Mad God, variously known as N'asr, Cyric, the Black Sun, the Dark Sun, the Lord of the Three Crowns, Prince of Lies or Lord of Murder, is associated with murder, deception, intrigue and strife. He was the god of death and the dead when Abu Jafar took up his worship and his loyalest worshippers still account him those titles, but in truth, there is a new steward of the Realm of the Dead, after a debacle in which Cyric mishandled his responsibilities there and was removed by a cabal of other gods.

Side-effects more like than a taste of carrion, as such, would be a need to slay something regularly for no other reason than to dedicate its death to the Lord of Murder and/or Compulsive Lying, Jealousy or Delusions about the supremacy of Cyric and the falseness of all other gods.