View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #53
TippetsTX

Default Re: Conan the wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I feel like these issues overwhelm campaigns and are better just killed at the source. Classic Traveller effectively had no advancement after character generation (at least in its original, purest version!). Bushido has 6 levels. You want your samurai to reach 7th level? Well, tough $&!#, you can't: there are 6 levels and that's that. These sorts of games are surprisingly liberating as they shift your attention away from perfecting your build and onto other things that are more fun.
The new TFT clearly joins the ranks of these sorts of games, if you play it RAW. Sort of. You can keep chipping away at talents and spells ad infinitum, but I think the rules really steer you toward a character who just might live long enough to have ~36-38 stat points, perhaps 15-20 equivalent points in talents and/or spells, and does his or her best to always have a limited wish stashed in a back pocket.
Love both of those games (still have my original, and mostly hashed, boxes), but that's not what I'm expecting from TFT. I get that games change and rules evolve, but character progression was one of my favorite aspects of Steve's original design. A 'Conan' may take time to build, but I still want to know that he's a possibility.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote