View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: The Raid: Redemption, a Technical Grappling Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
One thing I've toyed around with is making the Styles in GURPS Martial Arts a bit more expensive, but set the default to all of that style's techniques at full skill. That way you invest heavily into a style, but get more points out of it in terms of being better at all that style's techniques than just raising base skill. I haven't done any actual play-testing of it yet, so I can't say definitively if it's a good solution or not.
I'm trying to remember where I saw "Wildcard Styles" or "Style Techniques" that do exactly that: all techniques at full skill, but each level of "Style!" skill is somethign like 12 points.

That does both things: it makes high overall skill levels quite expensive, but it also means you're not kickin' around with Skill-25.

In terms of "optimizing," though, I'd also say that once you start doing drills that are that many, to different techniques that involve putting your fist or weapon where you want ... at some point you're just working out and practicing overall accuracy. If I can hit your vitals, or your face, or your torso, or your knee...at that point, I'm just more skilled.

That being said, I think you're most of the way there simply by buying Extra Attack. Not having to soak Rapid Strike penalties all the time is huge.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote