View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #170
Icelander

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Is there a role for light trebuchets on these battlefields? If so, it's worth building heavier projectiles for them, and standardising the dimensions and weights tightly enough that one can take ranging shots with rocks.
The 1-3 lbs. shot will be delivered with a heavy staff sling, which is not so very unlikely a light trebuchet, of course.

You were thinking about something man-portable in the size range above that?

That role is more-or-less handled with ballistae, but those aren't very man-portable. Even so, they are lighter than anything using indirect fire in Low-Tech.

If you have some real-world contraptions with better performance than result from merely scaling down the artillery stats* in Low-Tech, I'd be very interested. By all means, suggest devices in the TL3+1 Mechanical Artillery thread.

Any way of delivering a 5-lb or heavier projectile to 60 yds range or longer is interesting, if it can be done with something one or two men can carry and mount on the battlefield. As long as it could be built with the technology base that the PCs have, it's potentially allowed, even if it was never invented in real history.

*Which I don't always understand how are derived.