View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #166
Varyon

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
How much ought that cost?
No clue, honestly, although I doubt it would be much more than the vials used to hold potions in DF, so you might be able to use that as a baseline.
Using the right sort of glass (we did this in a chemistry lab to make some very thin capillary tubes once), a glassmaker could first construct a long, moderately thick-walled tube. Afterwards, heat up the glass enough to be near melting and simply stretch it out to get a very long, very thin, thin-walled tube. After this he need simply break off sections and seal one end (via partial melting) and you have your vials. If alchemist fire is something that has a short wait after it's made before it becomes sensitive to air, it might be possible to make fully-sealed vials of alchemist's fire using such a method (melt-sealing both ends after it's already full).

$75 for the "crush" fuse and $100 for the "pin" fuse might be appropriate, although I'm honestly just kind of throwing numbers out. Note the crush fuse would have a better reliability than the pin, as it need merely impact strongly enough (without cracking the shell), while the pin fuse has to impact at a certain point on the projectile.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote