View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #18
Sorenant

Default Re: Elves as "closer to nature and lower-tech" - give them a revulsion to metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I totally don't agree with that. Elf magic may be a different technology, but it can be a different technology that's allergic to materially based human technology. The fact that two things both have the same game mechanical label doesn't at all make them the same thing in terms of actual cause and effect.
I agree with AlexanderHowl when it comes to game mechanics but with you storywise.
It makes sense that such elves would develop an alternative "technology" that coexists with nature and thus doesn't penalize their magical abilities. However, if they can so easily replace normal technology with their natural one, then the -10% mundane countermeasure modifier is not really limiting them, so it wouldn't be worth the point break. On the other hand, if such natural technology is more expensive than normal one (which would make sense, as it's likely to preclude mass production) then it arguably might work.
By the way, I wouldn't rate porcelains as high TL for this purpose, at least not if the elves has some sort of magic-powered kiln instead of using coal.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote