View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #20
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: How to be a Likable character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
I look at the guys I play with, and I literally have NO CLUE what makes them like NPCs. Almsot all our "named" NPCs have been invented off the cuff. Heck, we adopted a freakin' CHAIR* that we were very angry about losing due to an ambush.

*In defense, it was a REALLY nice chair
My old group (okay, it was a few groups back) once decided to take a shed along with us. It was a CoC campaign and the GM had accidentally read from the non-boxed text as he read the shed's description, "... and nothing strange ever happens in the shed."

So during that mission when we needed a break from the crazy we'd retreat to the shed. When we left the crazy mansion we took it with us and installed it on top of the station wagon we drove. To the GM's credit, nothing strange ever happened in the shed. Outside the shed? Fair game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
I think my current players are just Charitable. They like every NPC who doesn't try to kill them. Hell, they routinely let *monsters* go if they promise to be good.
I've done that in D&D. In D&D.

Quote:
Once, even letting them keep their treasure.
I've never done that. I did however once give the last guardian of an Orc tribe (an old 'grandma' looking warrior*) enough copper** to buy her and the children of the tribe their way into a neighboring tribe's lands after my group slaughtered every adult in her village. To be fair I did demand surrender at every skirmish during the entire fight. She was the only one who accepted (she was guarding the cave where all the children were).

* Later we found out she was an old Anti-Paladin and high enough level she might have been able to wipe the floor with us. But as we had defeated her entire tribe, without sustaining a single injury and I rolled really well on my Intimidate (and subsequent Diplomacy) check she chose surrender over valor.

** To be fair... it was drawn from the tribe's treasure... and was less than half of a share once we split the take. So I was able to assuage the party (my character didn't actually care about treasure, and I was the Rogue).

If I'd had my way, we'd have have talked our past. But the Orcs attacked from ambush... so I never had a chance to schmooze our way past (it was 3.5e so we got exp even if we didn't fight).

Last edited by evileeyore; 12-23-2015 at 05:57 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote