View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Agemegos

Default Re: Scope and format of world data sheets in SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Are you using something standard for generating this information?
Bits of it are extracted from the Extended Hipparcos Catalogue, others are generated by an increasingly heavily-modified version of the GURPS Space advanced star system generation sequence. But basically no.

Quote:
Astronomy
It's fairly significant how axial tilt interacts with orbital eccentricity, and that information is missing.
Quote:
Climate
Visible Illumination is a fairly useless level of detail
It's important to agricultural productivity. Also, though illumination 47% as bright as sunlight on Shamballa is not noticeably dim, PCs probably want their Ray-Bans on Ardour, where the light is 180% as bright as on Earth.

Quote:
Oceans
Might be nice to know percentage of area that's relatively shallow (continental shelf, etc).
Atmosphere
Percentages of top gases?
Eh. If it were trivial to calculate, yes. But I'd have to come up with a method of randomly generating more detail. I think that the case is stronger for the boiling point of water at sea level and the scale height of the atmosphere.

Quote:
Economy
I assume you're using 'Real GDP' instead of PPP for some reason?
Purchasing Power Parity is a basis on which to make a comparison, it is not the value compared. GDP at PPP is real GDP. GDP/head at PPP is real GDP/head. The wage rate at PPP is the real wage rate.

Quote:
Government
It's nice to have enough information to run a political plot, which means you need to know some details about lawmaking and succession.
I cover succession. More detail, perhaps.

Quote:
Also, corruption index?
I'll put it back when I can come up with a meaningful scale and a way of generating the content that is consistent with the development-level. This may involve generating a number of hidden economic problems using the development level and the Anna Karenina Principle. Corruption is second only to recent war-fighting in the country for producing economic underdevelopment.

Quote:
Law and Enforcement
People tend to be quite interested in what is illegal.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote