View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #31
Plane

Default Re: Rules you ignore/alter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Yes, it is safer to just target Torso this way, which results in faster targeting decisions at the table, while still keeping the drama of the occasional Vitals shot. It also seems truer to the literature -- I'm no marksman or hoplologist, but most references I see to this involve "targeting center-of-mass" and not "aiming for the internal organs".
Aiming for center of mass is likely just because it's the most likely to hit (-0 penalty) although you can also get a -0 penalty in GURPS for choosing "random hit location" which is LIKELY to hit the torso.

What I mean is that "I'm trying to hit vitals" should be more likely to hit vitals than accidentally hitting them when you're just aiming at the torso in general.

There's a couple reasons I want to tweak torso-related stuff. The first is in basic set:

Due to Damage Reduction's pricing for "Limited, Location" being based on the penalty (-10% per -1 to hit) it required a custom note for the torso since it was -1 to hit, they had to tell us it was -10% anyway.

That always rubbed me wrong so I thought maybe a simple approach is "let's increase all the hit locations by -1 to hit so that the torso is -1 to hit to match up with getting a -10% discount".

This would mean -3 to hit limbs, -4 to hit groin/pelvis -5 to hit extremities, -6 to hit face/neck, -7 to hit jaw/nose, -8 to hit skull, -10 to hit eyes, for example.

The only -0 left would be going for random hit locations, representing "I'll hit whatever has the best likelihood" being more adaptible than "I'll only hit the torso even if something else is randomly easier".

- - -

This idea requires a bit of tweaking with the division of torso into chest (-0) and abdomen (-1). You could apply the same -1 idea (-1 to hit chest, -2 to hit abdomen) I guess.

Using chest/abdomen no longer leaves a "I'm targetting the torso in general and it's easier than targeting a particular sublocation" option.

If that was used and remained at my suggested -1 then that creates the problem of needing the sublocations to an extra -1 worse: -2 to hit chest and -3 to hit abdomen and -5 to hit groin/pelvis.

If that's the case then it'd only be fair to increase the others too: -4 to hit limbs, -6 to hit extremities, -7 to hit face/neck, -8 to hit jaw/nose, -9 to hit skull, -11 to hit eyes.

To compensate for that, we could introduce easier options (much like the torso batch) where it's easier if you're aiming at larger areas (but not the entire body randomly).

For example "hit either foot" might be -5 instead of -6, and "hit either leg" might be -3 instead of -4, while "hit any part of the lower body" could be the traditional -2.

"hit either eye" could be merely -10
"hit eye or bridge" (has skull DR but doesn't target brain, mentioned in eye poke) could be -9
"eye or skull" could be -8...
"eye or nose" could be -7

hit either neck or jaw" could be -6
hit either neck or torso" could be -5.

There are a lot of potential combinations here so some kind of way of coming up with lower penalties in exchange for lack of control (randomness) as odds increase of getting higher-value targets compared to RHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I use Pee Kitty's house rule that costs FP is -10% instead of -5%
Would especially make sense if using the Last Gasp rules which makes them recover slower and inflict penalties earlier.

Which also pairs nicely with -1%/level for "Costs AP" if allowing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
as a spell casting perk a caster can specialize in "fast-casting" 1 specific missile spell.
He can create it as a free action, like a fast-draw.
(Obviously only up to what he could have cast as a 1 turn action.)
B43 Compartmentalized Mind -80% is worth 10 points, which can be reduced to 2 points (1/5) if taken as an Alternative Ability, so it's pretty close to possible already.

Last edited by Plane; 07-29-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote