View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Rules you ignore/alter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
  • Increasing the versatility of Side Effect. (B109/P106) Basically, we just use this to turn an Innate Attack into a more-useful version of Affliction. It makes ability-creation much easier and most abilities then follow the same mechanics. Only some abilities require the use of Affliction.
I keep on wanting to use this, but I haven't gotten my mind around it mathematically yet.Its not that I can't, its that I keep forgetting about it and its not a trivial mental switch, at least for me.

Quote:
[*]Allowing Extended Duration on Create. (P92) It’s our opinion that the “creation pool” (P93) is an incredibly poor kludge that just doesn’t work. We allow the addition of the Extended Duration enhancement on Create. While it has potential for abuse, just getting a character with Create past the GM requires extensive work, and the GM has general oversite on the power. And, Extended Duration, Permanent is a pretty huge modifier that counter-balances the need for the creation pool.
I use wealth for create. Its in the book, but no-one seems to notice. That's not a rule that I ignore/alter, but its an optional rule I strongly champion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
I pretty much always extend the ST damage linearly for high values instead of referring to the damage table--so +8 ST is pretty much always +1d thrust and +2d swing, basically, rather than the numbers slowing down and getting closer to each other as ST rises.
Oh, yeah, I use that one when it comes up. I just... forget that its a rule I'm ignoring, and it doesn't come up terribly often

Quote:
I often keep skill points separate from other character points, like the buckets of points pyramid article suggests. It mitigates the 'just take a point in each skill you want, then focus on raising DX/IQ/HT/etc. instead' issue.
That's a valid rule, as you said, and I use it heavily for other things, but its rather transformative of games you use it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
[LIST][*]Guns (Longarms) replaces all of Guns (Musket/Rifle/Shotgun) -- there's no need for those to be separate skills.
I mean, that's an option in a pyramid article, but yeah, that's a good one.

Quote:
[*]Language Talent halves the cost of languages instead of bumping the effective skill level (because even talented people start at Broken facility).[*]Parrying Unarmed Attacks (B376) does half damage, not full damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
Fast-Draw: I use Fast-Draw as a Perk. It doesn't get rolled, it just works.
In situations where it needs a roll, I use the weapon skill.

Recover Energy: I think Recover Energy should be a Perk. It isn't a spell, it's a special attunement to ambient mana. Probably in two levels.
Those just might be worth trying out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Thats more than even we're using in the PbP fight!

I think the biggest alteration we made to last gasp was the alternate movement rules from doug's blog. Those were a big help.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote