View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #46
Agemegos

Default The Graduation Ceremony

It is pleasant at the side of the lake, and the temporary seating is mercifully comfortable. Which is a mercy, because the ceremony proves to be long. The Deputy Commissioner speaks for thirty minutes on the ideals of the new Independent Commission for Justice, and is followed by the Chief Justice of the Imperial Sector Court speaking for twenty minutes about the blessings of justice. The class valedictorian, at least, is both brief and heart-felt.

Cadet Goldek
I'll make this short, because this is the first time I've ever come first in anything, and I don't have any experience of making speeches much longer than "You're nicked, Matey!" There's only one I've got memorised, and that's not appropriate to this occasion.
Chuckles from the cops in the audience.

Cadet Goldek
I'd like to thank the Deputy Commissioner, and through him the Commission, for this opportunity. Not "opportunity", "privilege". I was on the scrap-heap at home, and the Commission has given me a new lease on life. I get to go on feeling collars until I am old and grey...
More chuckles: Goldek grew up on Dante too poor for Eugerione, and when he first arrived on the course he was bald and fat and looked ninety. Imperial medicine has made him look a lot younger, Imperial cosmetology has restored his hair, and he has lost a quarter of his body-weight. He looks 25 years younger than when his classmates met him. "When I am old and grey", apparently a line from a popular song, was a catchphrase of his in class, used to express incredulity and skepticism.

Cadet Goldek
The real privilege is that I, and may I say on behalf of the class "we" get to feel some of the dirtiest collars in the Universe. The greatest villains yet unhung are wandering the streets of every colony, in coats with velvet collars. And we get the privilege of making them safe for children!

How can a man die better?
He bows clumsily, and the applause though not raptured is sincere. Goldek turns and marches to the Chief Justice to take his oath, then to the Deputy Commissioner to receive his badge, which he turns and holds up to the audience. There is applause. After thirty seconds Goldek goes on the the Deputy Commissioner (Investigations) to receive his warrant-card in its black synthetic-manskin holder, to the DC (Personnel) for his cap-badge and commissioning pips, and to the DC (Administration) to have his gun-belt buckled on.

Discreetly, usher drones are drawing drawn the graduands from their places at the left of the audience, and down to a short queue. Each cadet walks across the "stage", taking oath, badge, warrant-card, insignia, and side-arm in turn. Following Goldek's lead, they turn to the audience and hold up their badges in triumph after shaking hands with the Commissioner.

The first ten in the class are allowed time to pass the entire receiving line with the stage to themselves. But directly after Penny Drake raises her badge #12 steps up to take his oath behind her.

Penny Drake
I, Penthesilea Drake, having been warned of the penalties for perjury, do solemnly and sincerely swear that I will be a diligent and honest officer of the Imperial court, and that to the best of my ability I will enforce Imperial justice without fear or favour, and with due regard to the law.
The graduands try increasingly to keep the process flowing smoothly, repeating the oath from memory after the Chief Justice's first prompt. Nevertheless, the ceremony runs over time, and safety-yellow taxis are landing at the gate of Cap Peninsula Park while the process is only up to #86.

Last edited by Agemegos; 04-05-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote