View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #13
Plane

Default Re: [Powers] limited duration with short recharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I can’t say I understand the Extended Duration idea, since by default EA lasts forever.
I'm approaching it like it's an ability which can be activated as a free action at the start of your turn and lasts one second.

Can anyone see any drawbacks in doing that?

We have to move away from assuming "always on" to allow things like Nuisance Effects, like how Bio-Tech essentially incorporates Odious Personal Habits (sweating, -1 reaction) as a Temporary Disadvantage but calls it a Nuisance.

In the case of regeneration there is at least a 1-second delay before you do any Healing so even though it doesn't cost a maneuver to switch on (essentially is Reflexive: turns on when you need it) that delay fits in the spirit of TD, just like the 1-second delay of Leech's healing allows you to take Temporary Disadvantages on that (as in Powers)

Of course regeneration will also start up when you might not want it to (eg: you'd rather be down 1 HP for the next three hours instead of being sweat/smelly for your fancy dress dinner) and it's not possible to shut it off w/ a Will Roll like w/ an Uncontrollable ability, so it's definitely pretty close to the inflexibility of an Always On one... sort of like "Minimum Duration: Variable" (however long it takes to heal all wounds, you can't stop sweating)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
No, CM and EA are not limited forms of ATR, because they do not cause difficulties with interactions.
With ATR1 it feels like maybe even if they couldn't switch it off perhaps they could do some kind of IQ check to try and talk at half-speed to be understood?

Or if evaluate or feint were super-important, to sacrifice 2 maneuvers to accomplish it?

Quote:
CM and EA can also represent being controlled by another party.
I get the idea with CM but do you know an example of EA being used this way?

This does cause me to dwell on how EA is physical (can't take it with you when possessing someone else's body, someone possessing your body gets to use it) while CM is mental. I guess you could convert EA to mental by adding "requires will roll" or similar to it though.

Quote:
In additiom, CM grants effective partial immunity to mental effects, as mental effects normally only target one mind at a time.
Yeah I think when we compare the two we usually tack on "No Mental Separation" limitation, at which point it's not really a "compartmentalized" mind in the sense of consciousness, only tasks?

The way both halves travel when you possess a body (doesn't seem a way around it) makes it hard to think of it as control by another party though...

Uncontrollable comes to mind to represent that, but I'm not sure what an Uncontrollable Compartmentalized Mind could do... could it start casting spells you know?

Were you thinking Uncontrollable + Extra Attack in the above?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote