View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: A Campaign in Space / Balancing of Spaceships with different SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
If the smallest ship has SM+5, the biggest SM+8, then a module for the smallest costs approx 3% of the module of the SM+8... they could divide loot accordingly...
Note that that's not necessarily representative if the big ship is a freighter, and the small ships are higher-performance craft.

For instance, a freighter (in addition to having Cargo Bays which cost nothing) is going to have a fairly thin (1 system per section) skin most likely of steel. If the small ship is sheathed in Hardened Nanocomposite, it pays more per system, and it may have more than 3 systems of armor. And for weaponry, note that you buy the same weapon for the same price whichever ship it's going on...or maybe effectively less on the big ship, if you can make do with a larger but less efficient version. Of course, arming the freighter may not help much...
Quote:
But as I have already played a few rounds with these players, I know them to be very fair loot sharers, so I think they will just upgrade the ship which benefits the group the most.
If they're communist with their upgrade (and upkeep!) budget, that takes the whole relative cost issue off your hands nicely.
Quote:
I'll just have to figure out what to do about the money they must make to upgrade the ships and the money they can spend on personal items - of course I'll have CR being very strict and "illegal" weapons and armor have exorbitant prices, any other ideas to balance this for personal/ship gear?
If you have profit levels comparable to the cost of spacecraft, you can afford powered armor and shiny guns, and maybe even a tank or two. If that's what you want to spend your money on. Is it really a problem if they have a hover-tank of their own, given that they already have a warship?