View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 10:45 PM   #25
Skarg

Default Re: Aid Spell, Damage, and Fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The thing I don't like about that house rule is that wizards are a lot less fragile so long as they're on the winning side. There's not much reason to worry about casting spells and draining ST.

If I start with 7 ST and use up 5 ST casting spells, I'll be fine if I'm hit for 1d or less damage. I'll get knocked out, but in the heat of the battle, who pauses to kill a knocked out character? Just so long as I'm not hit for 8 damage, I'll wake up.
Ok. I didn't originally play with that house rule either, and we all enjoyed ourselves. It was a popular house rule in recent decades, particularly with people with the preference that wizards not be that fragile. Without that house rule, a wizard not only needs to manage their ST, but using most of their ST is also deadly dangerous.

While yes, unconscious figures on the winning side are often ok, in many situations it's pretty dangerous to be unconscious after a fight even if your side won, because it'll be some time before you are conscious again, and other things may be happening, and even when you are conscious, you'll still be very tired.

In our games, wizards tend to be very vulnerable and attract attacks, and this hardly makes them safe. Some wizards have been left behind (and captured and/or never seen again) after casting themselves even just to unconsciousness, because the party didn't think it'd work well to carry the wizard with them.

I think it's just a matter of preference.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote