View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #650
tmedwards

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
That one definitely occurred to me but I haven't seen the series or read any of the books.
The books are made of pure win. I'll go out on a limb here and say that you probably wouldn't regret reading them.

Quote:
I've heard Harry Dresden is a wizard who's a private detective.
Yes, he's you man if you have problems with magic. He really is in the phonebook under "Wizard", even though that gets him the occasional "do you do parties" kind of calls as a result. :)

Quote:
I assume he's a decent shot with firearms.
Not so much with firearms, but he's got magical solutions for that sort of thing—his blasting staff, force jewelry, etc.

Quote:
How powerful a wizard is he?
He'd probably be a good fit for a MH team if that's what your asking—able to hold his own without being so powerful that he'd make the rest of the team superfluous. He teams up with various and sundry others—friends, acquaintances, and enemies alike—of varying power levels, fairly often in the books.

Quote:
Does he use magic that's fast or slow?
Both.

Quote:
EDIT: Ok, I'm working my way through the series on Netflix instant view.
I didn't discover Dresden—or any of Butcher's work, really—until after the TV series came out, so I never watched it. A friend of mine who was, a Dresden fan at the time, and did, watch the show, and wasn't overly impressed—he can be kind of a purity snob though, so I didn't take it to mean the show was bad, just that it played fast-and-loose with the book series.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote