Thread: Ideas Are Easy
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #547
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted View Post
Fairly real early medieval times slightly larger then life but not much say at Arthurs or Charlemanges courts or something similiar. Magic/Gods/Myths are real but fairly weak in the real world but saints/wizards/shaman/spirits/gods can enter and take with them people to a parallel world where the reverse is true the physical less real than the mystical. To defeat malific influences in the real world you occationally need to get to the source in the parallel world or to acquire holy relics, spiritual guids and such possibly the same. Probably not revolutionary but there could be some nice mechanics with characters working somewhat differently in each realm and a brutal realism in the normal world, besides a very strange alternative world possibly in the lovecraftian way as in the book that inspired the idea.
That's a fun setting conceit, at least. I'd probably build it so that rather than magic being "weak" its just not very portable. Effects in the mundane realm are usually the result of big structures/efforts in the mystic realm. So you can do things like curse a castle in the mundane realm, you just have to build a substantial structure in the mundane realm.

This makes wizard's towers nasty fortresses, but wizards not an immediate threat outside of their lairs. It also encourages going to the mystic realm to solve problems.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote