View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #30
Plane

Default Re: Passive intimidation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
It's the only thing that makes sense to separate 'skill' from 'happens to be scary'.
What about "Requires (Skill) Roll" on Terror? Maybe using a social skill or even something weird like Art (you make a scary painting).

Normally that can be switched on for free, with that variant of Unreliable/R(A)R a successful roll activates it for a minute.

Could even add "Resistible" to it. Success means someone doesn't even need to make a fright check. Like if it was something that couldn't target weak wills (or Fearfulness) if they had high IQ or high HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
For instance, very low appearance can and will scare people... to run or fight or call for help or spit your face.
B93 Terror (always on -20% [24] "often accompanies the extreme levels of Appearance – usually Hideous"

I don't think fright checks are free anymore for Hideous like they were in 3e, now you're just getting points for the reaction modifies but need to pay for the fright check, I think?

Hideous DOES give a bonus to Intimidation rolls though, so if you did make it "Requires Intimidation Roll" as suggested above then you're going to be super good at activating your ability and initiating the situation of making fright checks.

To represent "the better I am at intimidation, the stronger my Terror is" if we view buying -3 to the Fright Check as an "extra level" (it costs the same as the base cost) you could try to increase the power by making a will roll... but substituting Intimidation for Will is a reasonable thing to allow, and then your Hideous would aid you in your EE success roll.

Another idea is to do something like "MoS-based reliable" to help with the EE roll, to get pseudo-talent to boost it.

Reliable +10 +50% ...
remember Affliction allows you to buy the benefit of an enhancement for 1/5 price if it only occurs if a target fails a resistance roll by 5 points? (B35 "Secondary Effects"

Well: your underlying ability (Terror) is defined as resistable...

so if you buy that for only +10%, you only benefit from Reliable in respect to an enemy who failed to resist by 5 points.

PP uses MoS-based adapted from this (triple cost = multiply enhancement by MoF up to 10) so margin-reliable 1 +15% should give a +1 to +10 bonus to your Extra Effort role, but only as it pertains to if it works against the foe who rolled that MoF

Unless you took Selective Effect, crit fails on EE should still cripple the entire power even if the bonus would've prevented the crit fail for a single person, and if the reliable bonus is the only reason you got a critical success, it should still cost FP: the only effect should be possibly changing normal failures into normal successes in respect to one person, in this case.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote