View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Character creation process

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
Survey says...Midgard Campaign Setting by Kobold Press! What do I win?

To address your main point, I rarely have a full character appear at once in a moment of inspiration. But I've certainly had AC/DC job my creative process. Thunderstruck and Moneytalks are the usual culprits.
You win the right to have Ivar Bloodspear tell stories about his brother Thorr-kan ("my brother Thorr-kan once told me...."). We are from Nordheim.

The AC/DC was "We Who Are About To Rock!" but that was just what came on. Your choices _are_ excellent.

For the mechanical details, I was pondering a human Cleric with bonus Feat but that lead to the Domain and I was being distracted by Grave and Twilight and the chance to make a character who was weird and mysterious. I was also pondering Knowledge as that's certainly useful.

In pretty much the last deleberate thought I asked my Self "What do i really want to do? and my Self answered "Damage. I want to do damage.". This was my Self being honest with me. Most of my characters end up being heavy damage doers almost irrelevant of class..

This was where the chain lightning started with "Damage-> Domain of War ->follower of Wotan -> user of Spear->Piercer feat-> Ivar Bloodspear!".

I had noticed the Piercer feat earlier but had dismissed it for a Cleric out of habit. The rest of it I had barely noticed as it went past. I've had soem names sugest themselves in the past but none as quickly and decisively as "Ivar Bloodspear!".

So Ivar is built on the Standard Array with highest Wisdom but good Str and Con and using IQ and Dex as dump stats. He'll wear chain mail and carry a shield. He won't be a typical "healing" Cleric so much but we've got that Paladin and the Warlock will probably have a Celestial Patron. Planting the seed for that was one of the things distracting me. I was able to meme it as "playing against type" for a Trollkin.