View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 03:41 AM   #7
Nestyr

Default Re: Minis for Classic Car Wars?

TL,DR, for the below: image scales on counters have been fudged. Retaining the 1”=15’ (or 1:180 scale, or “Heroic” 10mm scale) scale of the counter, I am asking whether changing the scale of objects to 1:220, for everything, would be acceptable, when printing miniatures, to be mounted on bases in the “standard” (1:180) scale of the game.

Hi all,

Tragically replying to my own post, and having spent a good deal of time measuring dimensions of vehicles on counters, comparing them to RL counterparts, I believe I have discovered something, which the community in general may already be aware of:

There has been a great deal of fudging in the sizes of the counter artwork.

Two examples:

There is a counter for a classic, yellow VW Beetle, which I believe is from the combustion engine hot rods counter sheet. The image is roughly one third the length of a counter. Which means it should be around 5’ in length. In reality, the average length of the classic Beetle is 13’. The image on the counter, therefore, should take up most of the length, then, as the counter represents a length of 15’.

Additionally, the average lengths for mid-sized and larger cars starts at over 15’, so they should not fit on a standard car base of 1”*1/2” (again, where 1”=15’).

Now, I can appreciate some fudging being done, for the sake of gameplay, in order to keep the “standard” base size to 1”*1/2”. However, my ASD finds this problematic, especially when I am looking at using miniatures in the “standard” Car Wars scale (which, incidentally is a scale of 1:180, or “Heroic” 10mm miniature scale).

In order for accurately-scaled images of vehicles to fit on this “standard” base size, the scale of these images needs to be corrected, and consistent. The next “common” scale of 1:200 (or 8mm) is still *just* a bit too large for vehicle images on the larger size to fit on the base. The next subsequent “common” scale would be 1:300 (or 6mm), and this is far too small, making smaller vehicles appear comically small on the counters.

After some experimentation, I believe the best scale for the images would be 1:220 (very roughly around 7.8mm scale - I haven’t done the math yet…). All cars fit comfortably on the car counters, cycles fit on cycle counters, etc. Larger vehicles look fine, and smaller vehicles do not appear to be any more comical than usual.

Why does this matter?

Ultimately, it doesn’t.

However, as I am working on making suitably-sized “realistically” dimensionally accurate miniatures, for these earlier versions of the game (and my autistic brain is having apoplexy, with the mixed scale sizes), I thought it would be good to determine a scale which would work, across the board, for all the things depicted on counters in the game.

So, what do you think? If the 1”*1/2” scale for the base sizes is retained, is a 1:220 scale suitable for things to be put on these counters/ bases?

Cheers,
Nestyr is offline   Reply With Quote