View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 11:59 PM   #53
KarlKost

Default Re: Turn of Combat Reformulated - Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
How is that to be kept track of?

Suppose that X and Y are fighting, and X has Velocity 10, and Y has Velocity 9. Velocity 9 gives one action per 1.11 seconds.

Second 1: X acts; Y does not.
Second 2: Y acts at .11 seconds; X acts at end.
Second 3: Y acts at .22 seconds; X acts at end.
Second 4: Y acts at .33 seconds; X acts at end.

... and so on, till second 11, when Y acts at .99 seconds and X at the end—or when you round Y up, and X and Y act simultaneously?

It seems as if you are going to be doing a lot of bookkeeping to keep track of who acts when. There's a reason that RPGs other than GURPS split combat into discrete rounds/turns (for example, Champions has a 12-second span of time, in which Speed 1 lets you act on phase 7, Speed 2 on phases 6 and 12, Speed 3 on phases 4, 8, and 12, and so on). It seems as if you would be adding a lot to the GM's load.

It also seems as if, in every second after the first, the slower fighter actually acts before the faster one.

Or do you want to segment combat into, say, centiseconds, and count off: .01, .02, .03, .04, .05, ... ?
The idea is to make it all into an app; you just type in the number of fighters and their respective Velocities, and the system do all the unpractical math. What will show will just be the actions orders. Than (hopefully) when it's your time to act, you choose a maneuver, and said maneuver could go a little faster or slower - which would also be automatically calculated.

So, all you would have to do would be to select over the screen the maneuver you'll execute - or use a ranged weapon, whatever, and those options would show in a single screen. You press, and the system tells which one goes next.

This would also open up the possibility to have a new trait for weapons, some sort of "Speed Modifier" or whatever.

As for "after acting twice in a single second, the slower guy will always act first", that's not a problem because there wouldnt really be a "turn" of combat" just sequence of actions, and there would not be a division of time; each part takes as long as it takes to do their thing. Keeping track of the seconds would just be for having a notion of how long the battle takes, but it truly would no longer have any influence. Granted, 99.99% of humans will still be very very close to the 1 second mark, and Velocities of 11.23 vs 10.52 are entirely possible. Division of time is not necessary, the system will calculate it all and just return the sequence. Im building a sheet to use as a basis for an app, and even that would be enough, but the commodity of not having to constantly change entries on a google sheet or excel table would greatly improve it's use. Now, I do have a problem of time, like I always do I've involved myself in some 20 different RPG personal projects, Im trying to develop my personal taste shamans, Im working on a final set of Alternate Attributes that pleases me, I still need to finish my adaptation of Wraith the Oblivion for Gurps but for some reason I developed "writters block", and every time I look at that I get sick and dont wanna do it, but I have to, and now Im also devoting my energies to create yet another sheet for Realm Management, with greatly expanded rules from the Gurps supplement, which I intend to put to full use on my next Fantasy game, and that's the project that is my focus right now. I wasnt even thinking about Velocity, that was a project of mine from years ago, which a friend of mine ressurected asking me to explain it a little because he just remembered, and he wanted to do something similar. And my brain is obscessive, when I begin something I cant get it off my brain, which is why Im hear, and I gotta say, Im glad I did it because it's been an improvement from previous attempts.

But I cant get my Realm Management out of my head; my spreedshets are almost done, Im fine tuning the details and I'll do some play tests; after that I'll see if my friend (who is in Asia right now, all the way across half of the globe) can help me breath life to those two ideas.

I just hope we can do it
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote