View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #21
phiwum

Default Re: Swinging from the sidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
TBH, I have never agreed with the +4 DX to hit a 'prone' figure... not as a universal rule, anyway.

Yes, it is easier for a standing figure to hit someone who has been knocked prone directly in front of them, and yes, it is easier to hit someone that you are locked in HTH with because you are already in physical contact with each other, but I would not grant the bonus to an archer firing from more than 10' away because in that situation, the prone figure is actually a smaller target. I would also not grant it to a standing figure attacking someone engaged in HTH with another character because they are effectively making a 'called shot' to try and hit one specific target who is rolling around on the ground, partially obscured by his opponent who you presumably don't want to hit.
As far as archers (and perhaps thrown weapons) go, not giving the bonus might be consistent with RAW. The bonus is in terms of every hexside counting as a rear hexside, but missile weapons (and perhaps thrown weapons) don't get facing bonuses. So I'm with you there.

Your comments on striking into a hex with figures fight HTH amounts precisely to my suggested house rule Adj. It's clearly not consistent with RAW which explicitly includes the DX +4 bonus on p. 117, but obviously I agree with the reasoning.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote