View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #17
Refplace

Default Re: [RPM] Storing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Going by the old Runequest divide - which is still one of the only games I'm aware of that takes Shamanism seriously - the co-operative arrangement is what the Shaman does, working with the spirit as an ally and colleague - the Sorcerer, by contrast, uses the spirit as a tool, beating it into submission rather than negotiating - or even breaking it down to use its essence for rituals and enchantments.
It is my fervernt hop that GURPS will one day have good Shaman rules but already with Channeling or Medium to contact them and Spirit Empathy to effectively use Social skills I feel GURPS already is the best currently out there and we have other pieces already in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
That could be modeled in the difference between Ally with Minion (+50%) and Unwilling (-50%) and Ally without either modifier. Of course, a shaman may benefit from positive traits related to their relationship with the spirits while sorcerers could suffer from negative traits related to their treatment of the spirits. Of course, RPM does not technically have a summoning/banish effect, so getting the attention of existing spirits may be difficult.
Since Ally is someone willing to fight alongside you I tend to treat most spirits as Contacts and some as Patrons, plus justification for some other powers such as talked about in GURPS Thaumatology, DF: Summoners, and Totem and Nature Spirits, plus a few other books.
And Summon spirit could be handled with a Create Spirit or Crossroads effect and Banish a Destroy or maybe even Weaken to break their connection.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote