View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #87
Der Wanderer

Default Re: Whats a Munchkin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
A type of player who lacks imagination and cannot think beyond his own unvarying ambitions and goals, which are exclusively concerned with gathering fighting power and killing things (basically treating a roleplaying game like a videogame: a simulation of killing things with cool power-ups) in ways which have little or no necessary relationship to the setting or mood of the campaign.

There. That's a munchkin.
So thats a munchkin, someone who only plays what he likes (ok its a single "role", but hey I'm Joe Average in real life, don't need to be him in RPG too)... Thats exactly the way most players start their career in the scene (some stay longer, say forever in that phase) but there is nothing Munchkinesk about it...
The only flaw is to force/let those people to play in a "Jane Austen Novel" as you put it earlier (maybe the group should discuss what sort of game they want to play, and "kick" this guy out (especially if he is a friend, honesty above all))...
Munshkin = I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien, I'm an Englishman in New York -Sting ;)

I had a phase where I thought that everybody who used dices for Diplomaty/Public Speaking/Fast Talking/etc. was no role player (until it dawned upon me that I also do not performe the acrobatics my hero does).
So claiming that this player "lacks imagination and cannot think beyond his own unvarying ambitions and goals" is just snobish thinking, forgetting what is most important about RPG, fun!!! And noone should be forced to play a role he does not like... 'cause thats no fun...