View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
Polydamas

Default Re: Closest real-world matches for Yrth cultures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I was actually referring the unchanged nature of Classical Arabic.
Isn't Classical Arabic like biblical Hebrew, a language which is learned so people can recite and read sacred texts in a widely understandable way? The Yrthian equivalent of "tv announcer Arabic" might be more different though ... my understanding is that for political reasons, proud Arabic speakers often brush over the distinctions between different Arabics, just like proud Chinese speakers insist that the Sinitic language family is all one language unified by characters.

Edit: the cool thing about Yrth is that you can draw on different real-world inspirations. It is a setting designed to let the GM add details to parts she or he is interested in, not a setting with a Bible which must never be contradicted. If you think a bit of real-world culture is fun and fits the setting, pull it in! There are lots of reasons why something which was obscure on our Earth might be prominent on your Yrth and vice versa.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 06-23-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote