View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #33
whswhs

Default Re: Magery as an improvable advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
This may partially have more to do with the kinds of games I run, which tend to be cinematic, influenced more by DnD and video games than literature and such, internally consistent to the degree that it helps us imagine what's going on but not taking great pains to explain all the details of things that happen "off-screen" unless they seem relevant to the PCs' actions. I realize your games might be more focused on literary themes and realistic character development as ends in themselves, in which case your priorities will naturally be quite different...
That's quite right. I've played D&D only once this century, and before that I hadn't played it in a decade or more; and I don't play video games (and back when I did, my favorite was Civilization, which isn't a roleplaying game as usually understood). My inspirations come from literary works, from mythology, and from anthropological studies of supernatural beliefs. So we're aiming at very different design principles and target audiences, I think.

I have not said, and do not intend to say, that there's anything wrong with the way you do things; it's just that it wouldn't suit me, because my tastes run to other sorts of play. The only point I'm trying to make is that there ARE different tastes in this area. And it seems that we do actually agree that that's so.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote