View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
Rigil_Kent

Default Re: [Banestorm] Fleshing out the Djinn Lands

Amusingly, in our Fantasy Grounds game (streamed over at https://www.twitch.tv/olympusrpg every Saturday at 5pm to 9pm Central), the characters are entering the Djinn Lands proper this week and I'm looking forward to fleshing it out in our version of Yrth...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
So, one thing that's always puzzled me in the Banestorm setting, has been the Djinn Lands. The Mysterious land in the south-east of Ytarria ruled by "Djinn" who are actually powreful human mages, each with their own castle in a small high-mana area. Who actually turn out to be the vessels for Ascended Elven super-mages.
I kind of hate their take on djinn and am using the more traditional versions semi-ripped off from the 3E "Arabian Nights" game. I do sort of envision it as the djinn all basically constantly fighting amongst one another over territory and the like (though they rarely get involved personally and stick (generally) to proxy wars), and your reference to the Goa'uld from SG-1 definitely fits my mental image with regards to how they're in charge of the peoples ... although my versions actually are ridiculously, absurdly, over-the-top powerful entities that, within limits, can do anything they want to with the snap of a finger. Each of my djinn have regular human servants but also have elite non-human guards & generals - one djinn uses centaurs, another snake people (yuan-ti in D&D terms), another utilizes felinoids, etc.

It's also going to be a location of High Mana almost entirely with the conceit that the No Mana effect of the Great Desert has led to Mana gathering more strongly in the Djinn Lands. This means crazy stuff like Manastorms (sandstorms with wild magic effects jammed in there) and the like.

Ultimately, I just want the players to have fun in a completely bugnuts crazy location so their characters have some whacky tales to tell when they get back to what they consider civilization...

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog

Last edited by Rigil_Kent; 11-04-2020 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typo!
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote