View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 01:27 AM   #13
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Cidri's Got Talent!

I forgot we had this thread. Seems like a good place to drop this. My latest version of a revised magic system based on talents for magic users. These intended for use with certain caveats: wizards pay the same for talents as everyone else; no one can learn or cast spells without taking at least the first of these talents; wizards can know as many spells as their IQ, separate from talents; there is only the one basic IQ 8 Staff spell; Staff Mana cannot be bought with XP, but the wizard can focus increasing amounts into their Staff with higher talents for magic. The plan is also to confer an "automatic" spell with each of the higher talents, activating it as a free action but still having to pay the ST cost. For example, the Arch Mage might get to activate Diamond Flesh at will, as a free action -- still sorting that bit out.

IQ 8 - Adept (2) [prereqs Literacy (1) and Sorcerers Tongue (1)]
May learn and cast spells from the IQ 10 Spell Table and below, provided IQ is as high as the spell. May create a Staff for themselves, but may not store Mana in it yet.

IQ 11 - Wizard (2) [prereq Adept]
May learn and cast spells from the IQ 13 Spell Table and below, provided IQ is as high as the spell. May store Mana in their Staff equal to their own ST minus 6 (a minimum of 2).

IQ 14 - Sorcerer (2) [prereq Wizard]
May learn and cast spells from the IQ 16 Spell Table and below, provided IQ is as high as the spell. May store Mana in their Staff equal to their own ST minus 4 (a minimum of 4). May take a +1 DX bonus on all Thrown (T) type spells. Staff is now immune to all drop weapon and break weapon results.

IQ 17 - Thaumaturge (2) [prereq Sorcerer]
May learn and cast spells from the IQ 20 Spell Table and below, provided IQ is as high as the spell. May store Mana in their Staff equal to their own ST minus 2 (a minimum of 6). May now put a maximum of 5 ST at a time into Missile (M) type spells. Unlocks knowing (my version of) Weapon/Armor Enchantment.

IQ 20 - Enchanter (2) [prereq Thaumaturge]
May store Mana in their Staff equal to their own full ST (a minimum of 8). Unlocks knowing Lesser Magic Item creation.

IQ 23 - Arch Mage (2)
[prereq Enchanter]
May store Mana in their Staff equal to their own full ST times 1.5 (a minimum of 12). Unlocks knowing Greater Magic Item creation.