View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
Sorenant

Default Re: [MA][LT] Dueling Buckler and Shield-Hand Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
On the other side of the world, Scottish highlanders used targes with dirks, alongside basket hilted claymores. I think it's a plausible set-up, especially for any group of people who are prone to sudden skirmishes. Bucklers, knives and one handed swords are all rather quick to bring into action, as well as relatively convenient in comparison to other weapons, like shields or spears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Such use is routinely attributed to Scottish Highlanders of the 1700s particularly seen by the Brits at Culloden.

I don't knw if this was used in stand-up combat or for specialized circumstances such as stabbing guys you've already knocked down.
Interesting, I never heard of Highlanders (which I identified with mostly claymores) using this kind of setup, nor about basket hilt claymored. I'll be looking it up, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
It's the distal tip. Notice the difference in the tips between the modern knife at the top, and the 18th century one at the bottom? The 18th century example has a reinforced distal tip. Allowing a distal tip weapon the bonus to targeting chinks in armor sounds reasonable.
I didn't notice the reinforced tip! Thanks for mentioning it.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote