View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #59
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Show me the magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
ooo; I like these! I'm a big fan of spells that do something interesting, beyond zapping slightly more effectively than you already can zap.
Thanks Lars, I love that kind of spell too. Besides the Bridge, I have a set of spells in mind specifically for outdoor adventures and travel, but haven't worked out the IQ levels or ST costs yet.

Like Bridge, these spells summon structures. These however last 12 or 24 hours per casting, and all follow the common rules that there must be a clear space of solid ground wide enough, and that anyone inside at the time the structure dissolves simply finds themselves standing out in the open (with an evil twist or two in mind of course :)

SUMMON HUT (C) -- Instantly brings a small hut a party can shelter in, to get out of the rain, stay warm, and spend the night. This won't be particularly high in IQ or ST cost. The next one would be a bit more expensive:

SUMMON COTTAGE (C) -- A very comfy space for about 6 travelers. Comes with a fireplace but no firewood, a kitchen but no supplies. The windows can be shuttered, and the door barred from the inside. Obviously much safer than camping out with wolves and bears around.

SUMMON KEEP (C) -- Now getting expensive to know and cast, but still in reach of an experienced wizard. Brings a small, fortified Keep or Tower into existence (wizard's choice). A place to not only camp, but defend yourself against orcs in the middle of the night. Again with a fireplace, and a few comforts, but no edible supplies.

and, yes...

SUMMON CASTLE (C) -- because it's a boring world without enchanted castles coming and going. This must be a very high IQ spell, and with a ST cost that would usually require two wizards to cast. It is ridiculously large for most parties, multi-level, dozens of rooms, moat and a drawbridge that works on voice command. A fireplace in every bedroom and a huge kitchen, but again no supplies or consumables. The armorery will (usually) be empty. This is the shelter of choice should an army of zombies or a large angry dragon be close on your heels.

And it comes with a mysterious caretaker, an older looking human, always the same fellow who can tell you his name is Dustin (because he's constantly dusting and polishing things) but has no knowledge of anything, no memory, and can't answer any questions. He addresses everyone in your party as M'Lord or M'Lady, says their Highnesses will be with you shortly, announces supper or tea will be ready shortly (but neither ever appear), and will bow and agree with anything you say. He disappears for hours at a time, but can always be found dusting and cleaning in some far off chamber if you go looking for him. And at every encounter he seems to have no memory of meeting you earlier.

Every time a Castle is summoned, there will be a chance of some unusual twist or encounter, determined by rolling a die against a table. Of course a GM might stock it with an entire adventure if they wanted to. This one spell could be it's own game module.

Something else all these Summon a Structure spells have in common is that no part of the structures can be removed and kept. You could leave with a chair or kitchen utensil, but it will also disappear the moment the spell expires. You could force the caretaker out the door, but he then vanishes immediately. Only to turn up sweeping the floor in some room later with no recollection of anything.

Rumor is once a wizard was snooping in the Castle he'd summoned for the night, and found a silver dagger hidden in a bedroom drawer. He still has the dagger to this day. Perhaps if travelers hide something in a Cottage, Tower, or Castle it disappears with the structure, but will still be there if a summoner lucks out and gets the exact same structure at a later time. Graffiti left in one of these buildings isn't usually there next time you summon one, but sometimes it is, and sometimes there's new graffiti in mysterious languages. Supposedly "Merlin was here" once turned up in a Castle hallway.