View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
Dutch_Wolf

Default Re: Need help in preparing campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari View Post
I can't say right now without anything in front of me. But I think you could do path magic just fine without thumbs. What are the three components of it again? Time, place and ritual trappings? Something like that, right? So, let's think of some examples. The members of a pack take turns to watch over a special outcropping of rock that overlooks a large area. The rock was mysteriously carved into by some previous inhabitants and counts as a special place to preform rituals. The wolves take turns watching over it and doing something at some kind of regularish interval, like say, they howl each time a cloud passes the sun or the moon, or something like that. At night they all gather to howl together and chase one another's tails (or whatever). There we have an element of time in it. And while they do their nightly routine, they bring with them bones defeated from dangerous beasts or passed down the generations or given as gifts by worshipful humans or monkeys or something. So we have a place, an amount of time it takes to do the ritual, and some ritual trappings. It's just an idea.
Well doing the rituals isn really the problem the problem is that a lot of example rituals have as result an object (called a charm in thaumatology), I can ofcourse rule that it is something intangible something that is done to an individual (e.g. infused into someones aura)

Quote:
On the other hand, it seems like you want them to be a little less stuck in one place. All three of those time, place and object requirements are hard on you if you want to be very mobile. I think the argument could be made that the real purpose of path magic is to slow down mages and leave them tied to a place. So it really might not be the right fit for you. I might suggest to instead simply group spells from Magic into groups as you like and come up with your own alternate prerequisite chain of some kind.
Well the PCs will do a lot of traveling but that is because they are special (they will also have access to realm based syntactic magic), but the normal magic the wolves will have is more subtle.

For example a mother digging a den while intoning a charm/spell of protection
to protect the den of harm (digging being part of the ritual of course), a pack howling to the moon for a good hunt, a wolf asking the stars in a howl for the quikest way to the meeting place of the pack or a pack doing a ritual to claim a teritorium.

Most (if not all) of those things will be higly ritualistic and won't be things that can be done during combat maybe there are some rituals that help to prepare for combats but those are probably not used much. (Maybe in some ritual for claiming a part of some other packs teritorium)

Quote:
It's a good idea! This is your first post? Don't feel bad if people don't respond too much. This is generally a rather nice forum. But I still don't know what to say and often feel like I put my foot in my mouth. Or... yeah... anyways. I might not be the best one to say welcome but, well, welcome.
Thanks! Your reply has at least helped me formulate my ideas better.
Dutch_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote