View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #36
Stomoxys

Default Day 180 since leaving The Homeland

When Wolfram heard what I had seen, they became strangely obsessed with the shed I had seen, saying we should tie a rope around it in case it contained a hidden exit. Nuur-Karif clarified that it was Ashtar would not mind if the denizen of the cellar escaped, as long as there were none left alive in the cellar. This did not appease Wolfram. They had decided that whoever was in the basement were malevolent sorcerers and necromancers and should be smitten. At one point, they proposed that we should split up and try to take one exit each, but Nujan and I were able to convince them that this would lower over overall chances of smiting any sorcerers. Noting that nobles would never deign to enter the sewers, Nuur-Karif said there were probably more exits and asked if I wanted to come along and survey the surrounding buildings. Walking around the city block, there was nothing particularly distinct about most of the buildings surrounding the house, except the one in the opposite direction of the sewer. This building had a large courtyard, hidden behind high walls with closed and guarded gates. We took up position in an alleyway and observed the building for a while and saw a large coach with drawn curtains enter the courtyard and the gates closed behind it. An excellent place to hide an entrance for nobles that did not wish to be seen.

Returning to the others, we made our final preparations. Nuur-Karif had concocted a drought that should protect against toxins which could prove invaluable in case an Ashtarite got a bit too close with their knives or teeth. The acrid taste burned my throat and made me retch, but I forced it down again. Seeing my reaction, Grogg looked suspiciously at Nuur-Karif, but drank their dose and neither they nor Wolfram looked particularly bothered. Riding in the wagon, I stripped off everything but the cloak and beard and removed my makeup. The coach was parked near the exit from the sewers and we approached the house on foot. Making an undetected escape should be easier underground, despite having to wade through a river of muck.

Walking up to the building, the main door was open and we walked in. I guess the building's reputation was enough to keep most intruders away. Inside, a large staircase led up to the second floor while a smaller set of stairs led down. I picked the door behind us shut, but before I was done, a voice from a female apeoid upstairs asked what we were doing and if we were acquainted with the place. Nuur-Karif answered yes and footsteps receded up the staircase again. Trying to not make unnecessary noise, we made our way down the stairs and came to a chamber dominated by a statue of a winged lion. Lions are jaguar like creatures, but larger and the males are distinguished by having a large mane. The apeoids consider them to be connected to Mitra and revere them, especially the Vasulla family and Mir had brought some from the west. Wolfram said that the winged lion depicted a Malakk, a messenger of Mitra. In front of it stood a wide bronze cresset containing a oil that burned with a tranquil flame. The only other feature in the room was a stone bench in front of the statue. Inspecting it more closely, I realized that the bench could be toppled over to open a hatch in the floor.

Before I could investigate further, I heard steps in the stairs coming down towards us and the voice asking if we were sure we were supposed to be there. Nuur-Karif went up the stairs and I could hear the sounds of a brief struggle before Nuur-Karif came down again, restraining the human female I had seen in the garden earlier. Tearing up the human's clothing, we bound and gagged them and they did not resist, but indicated they wanted to speak. Nuur-Karif removed the gag but they did not say much of value, only insisting that we must not go further down. When we did not reply, they claimed Elik would be insulted. Nuur-Karif moved to put the gag on again, but I stopped them. According to Pakk, the chamber below the Kabal temple at The Evening Fortress was dedicated to Elik. I was hoping the human would reveal something interesting, but I am not sure the ensuing rant contained anything of value. Only Elik had power down in the basement and only Elik's followers could purge all the transgressions and corruption. As I have mentioned before, none of the mammals know their proper place and that seems to extend to their cults. The human ended their rant by blowing wildly, making the fire in front of the Malakk flare up unnaturally. Nuur-Karif acted decisively, punching the human in the face so they passed out and they were gagged again.

Wolfram lifted the bench, revealing a short stair down to a room with three chests and a winding staircase leading further down into the darkness. I stripped down and prepared for combat while Nuur-Karif killed the bound and unconscious human. Dragging the corpse to the stair, they left a trail of blood that could have been avoided if they had dragged the human down first and then slit their throat. Using the coin for illumination, I picked open one of the chests which contained four smaller chests as well as some daggers and some clothing. I got the impression that the items were left their for safe keeping, but the others were impatient and I did not have time to open any of the other chests. Walking down the stairs with Grogg and Wolfram in front, we heard the clinking of a cup, causing Grogg and Wolfram to charge ahead.

Last edited by Stomoxys; 02-12-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Stomoxys is offline   Reply With Quote