View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #33
Mailanka

Default Re: Archers and Mages Attacking Every Turn (DF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Actually the "Concentrate is no longer a distinct Maneuver and may be switched out in place of an Attack" really isn't very complex.
No. It's implications on game balance, or when used with other spells might be.

Complexity does not just arise from how difficult something is. It arises from how many unknowns you expect a given change could give rise to. The interactions of a rule-change to a large, complex system will introduce more unknowns than using a system that's well-documented (it has its own book), is grounded in the system you already know (it uses the advantage/disadvantage system) and is built to do exactly what the OP is asking for.

So, yes, making a house-rule that changes one of the fundamentals of a complex system is more complex than the inclusion of a simple, familiar system that does exactly what you want it to do.

For additional clarity, I am not coming out against these suggestions. I was challenged to explain why I would offer Sorcery when you could make a "simple house rule change" to the existing system. My answer is: It's not that simple.