View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #31
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Archers and Mages Attacking Every Turn (DF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Standard Magic wasn't built on, well, standards, it was built on whatever felt right at the time. This makes it really difficult to modify it, at least in my opinion, and what you're talking about isn't necessarily as simple as you think.
I don't see why it has to be that difficult. I think you are really overthinking and overcomplicating things, or are just being over-cautious of creating a your own spells as house rule. Simply write a spell using common sense and whatever feels right to you to gain the effect you desire.

For example:
Quote:
Instant Missiles (VH)

This is not one spell but is rather a separate spell for each missile spell, i.e. Instant Fireball or Instant Ice Dagger. It allows the caster to instantly cast an missile spell and immediately throw it from his hand. 1/2D, Max, and Acc are as per the prerequisite spell.

Cost: 2 per die (3 per die for missiles that normally cost 2 per die, such as Explosive Fireball). Maximum 2d damage; minimum cost cannot be reduced below 1 with high skill. Adjust damage as per the prerequisite missile spell type (e.g. Instant Stone Missiles do 1d+1 cr while Instant Ice Daggers do 1d-1 imp). High levels of Magery does not garner extra effect.
Time to Cast: Instant. Normally spells must take at least 1 second to cast. Instant Missiles can be cast in effectively 0 time, however they must be thrown immediately, either by taking an appropriate Attack maneuver or a "Wild Swing." They may not be held like other Missile Spells and thus they normally may not be aimed with the Aim maneuver unless the caster has other abilities that would allow it.
Prerequisite: Magery 1, Great Haste, and the appropriate missile spell.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 06-24-2016 at 08:24 AM.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote