View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
Skarg

Default Re: Misc. Spell questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
A question about Drop Weapon and Break Weapon spells. These differ from rolling a 17 and 18 in that the target does not loose an action. But shouldn't he?

For example, a fighter is about to strike a wizard. The wizard with a higher DX uses his action to cast Drop Weapon. Now during the same turn, the fighter uses his action to pick up the dropped weapon. By end of turn, they are exactly where they started off. For the ST fatigue all the wizard did was buy one turn delay in getting hit.

On the other hand, no spell is cast, and if the fighter happened to roll a 17 not only has he dropped his weapon, he consumed his action that turn doing so. Next turn he will need to pick it up (not this turn).

So, I am suggesting that Drop Weapon and Break Weapon spells not only have the stated affect, but also cause the target to loose his next combat action.

Just checking to see if anyone agrees with this or is it going to far.
Those spells are not supposed to make the target use an action as well. If you'd like them to, then as GM (or with your opponent's agreement) you could have a variant of the spell that does do that, though consider it will tend to only impact people of lower adjDX than the caster. I might suggest a 3/IQ save or be distracted/confused by the interference into losing your action.

I agree that Drop Weapon isn't very effective at saving you from an adjacent warrior if the target hasn't acted yet and just picks it up. It's odd/interesting that if you are slower or wait for them to act (not good if you want to avoid them killing you...), they would end up unarmed during movement (your GM might let you disengage or at least only get bunched if you ignored engagement) and have to take the next turn to pick up the weapon. For an engaged person, at least that option is only allowed if the figure didn't move at all that turn.

Another fix could be to have Drop Weapon send the weapon away at least one hex (maybe 1d or 1d/2 hexes) in a random direction. That'd prevent an engaged victim from using an unused action to immediately pick it back up.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote