View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #19
Tomsdad

Default Re: Trying to solve the weakness of Low-Tech armor with no modifications on ST damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
1. Because people died to spears.
They did, but not necessarily because spears reliably went through the full thickness of their armour (i.e unarmoured location's, or thinner areas of armour)

Quote:
2. Because you need a way to hurt opponents in a game.
Well that's a game concern rather than relevant to how spears interacted with armour in RL. But even then the system allows you way to deal with armoured opponents. However I take your point, it's just we're now on a different (albeit related) subject.

Quote:
3. Because against most opponents in most situations against most armor, the game works fine, particularly with a (.5) AD for cutting weapons.
I agree with that to an extent.

Quote:
4. Because the quality of armor was highly variable and the force imparted from a sharp point will overcome quite a bit (stab a kitchen knife through a tin can).
Well poor quality armour is represented by lower than the norm DR for that type of armour, and tin cans are not armour.

Quote:
But most important for me is point 2. I just don't see how the game plays out if armor is 100% realistic. Unless nobody has armor (which would also be realistic in most eras), but if you do that, what's the point? ...
Ok well IME such games are work out like this. Armour is a huge advantage, and the most effective ways of dealing with it are fighting in some combination of:

Hitting where it's not (full coverage armour was quite rare historically)
Hitting were it was weak
Fighting in a way that doesn't involve penetrating armour with force

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-06-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote