View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #18
phiwum

Default Re: Aid Spell, Damage, and Fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Not enough information. What's bringing the ST down? You need to know how many actual wounds they have.

Fatigue isn't "forgiven" unless your GM doesn't care or it doesn't matter in the situation, but it rests off at 1 per 15 minutes.

Two different examples that both match your description:

Abe has ST 11, used 4 ST for spells, then got +5 ST from Aid, then took 9 damage, then lost 2 more fatigue from berserking, bringing them to 1 ST. Then the Aid wears off, and they collapse with ST 11, 9 damage, and 6 fatigue. 4 of the fatigue rests off in the next hour, bringing them to ST 0, and 15 minutes later they are awake but staggering at ST 1. 15 minutes' rest after that, they're ST 11 with 9 damage and no fatigue.

Bub has ST 10, +5 ST from Aid, took 12 damage, lost 2 fatigue from berserking, bringing them to 1 ST. Then the Aid wears off, and they are now ST 11 with 13 damage and 2 fatigue, dying. In 30 minutes the fatigue wears off and they are at ST 11 with 13 damage, and will die unless they get their wound physicked (or healing potioned) for at least 2 points within another 30 minutes.

(BTW, a related but separate issue: Whether fatigue can kill is probably yes RAW, but no has traditionally be a common house rule in original TFT. It also makes it easier to tell who's going to die or not - if wounds (not fatigue) is less than or equal to ST, they're not dying.)
Skarg, I guess I'm not quite getting your position here. Let me see if I understand you.

In each of the following cases, Wizard has ST 1 and receives 3 ST from an Aid spell. Please let me know if you agree.

(1) Wizard casts 2 ST worth of spells. At the time the Aid wears off, he is at ST 1; the fatigue for spell casting came off the Aided ST.

(2) Wizard takes 2 wounds. At the time Aid wears off, he is at ST -1.

(3) Wizard ends a berserking session (ignore the implausibility of a berserk wizard) and so gains 2 fatigue. At the time Aid wears off, he is at ST -1.

What I'm getting at here is that if I'm reading you right, you're treating fatigue from spellcasting different than fatigue from berserk. But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I don't think I'd use your house rule regarding death from fatigue. I think that using up fatigue in combat should be dangerous and if fatigue + wounds > ST, the guy's dying.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote