View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #14
kjamma4

Default Re: Ludicrous question of the day: drivers in sidecars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
A passenger is just another component, as is a gunner. If you have the space you can fit them to any vehicle as long as it not specifically prohibited (as for example they are prohibited for all racing cars except the Can-Am). The design rules for bikes don't mention gunners, but neither do the design rules for helicopters.

but I can find no specific rule saying Cycles cannot carry gunners.
Well, I think we agree in principle what should be allowed but disagree in what the rules allow.

For example, I don’t think there’s a reason a sidecar couldn’t contain more than one passenger subject to the space limitation but the rules do specifically say “one passenger.” I would think a game set in the future about combat would figure out a way to design a cycle with more than one passenger. However, the rules say no (despite current Google searches which show it is possible – although probably not what the cycle was designed for.)

The issue I have with the rules here is twofold – as I stated previously, there is some inconsistency in what terms are used. Also, which goes to your point about the Can-Ams, sometimes the rules say what isn’t allowed and sometimes they say what is. Non Can-Am racing cars are prohibited from having a passenger OR a gunner. The Can-Am can have one passenger OR one gunner. Note however that the rules here were very specific in mentioning both passengers OR gunners. Why then should we assume when they are very specific in allowing a passenger in a sidecar that they also mean a gunner too? Wouldn’t they say a passenger OR a gunner just like they did for the racing body types?

Helicopters

Building a motorcycle is very similar to building a car p. 74

Helicopters follow construction rules similar to those for cars p.92

Sounds good – we’re on notice that neither are exactly like the car rules. So, are those differences going to be what is allowed or what is not allowed?

You are correct that the design rules for helicopters don’t mention gunners. They also don’t mention passengers. The only mention of humans is “crewman” which by my best read is someone in the crew compartment (which is driver, gunners, and passengers not specifically in cargo space.) So, by that definition, passengers and gunners are allowed on helicopters.

Of limited value, but not of zero value, are the published designs. In my somewhat limited search, I did not find any designs with a gunner in a side car. Granted, I only found one that had a passenger. Contrast that with many helicopter designs that had gunner(s) and passenger(s).

Like I said, I see no reason (realism, fun) why a sidecar shouldn’t have a gunner except for the fact that only a passenger is mentioned and also was surprised that was a rule as I always assumed they could have a gunner.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote